Let’s start off with a few simple questions.
Are you looking to join an exciting and fast growing all-day brunch & dessert brand?
Do you have what it takes to be a Wafflemeister franchisee?
Are you ready to commit to our extensive training program and become a Meister?
If you answered ‘yes’ to the above, you’re just the person we’re looking for to help take the Wafflemeister brand to stratospheric levels!
We want to establish Wafflemeister as the UKs leading retail bakery chain providing a genuinely authentic Belgian waffle experience. Think brunch and dessert, think Wafflemeister!
We trade from a variety of locations including high street shops (known as street fronts), shopping malls, stand-alone kiosks and island kiosks inside malls and we are continually looking to expand our operation into airports, campuses, sports arenas and stadia, amusement parks, motorway services and even military bases so if you’re aware of any available and/or interested locations, please contact us. You can see where our current locations are here.
In 1999 while studying for an MBA, Alexander Troullier founded The Belgian Food Company. He sold the business a year later and entered the world of corporate finance, only to buy the business back in 2009, founding the Wafflemeister brand the same year with a simple ethos.
‘Everyone deserves a place where they can buy fresh, handmade dishes – from brunch to desserts – in a timeless, fun environment’.
In September 2010, Rikos Leong-Son joined as a partner with the remit to help build the business as a fully scalable retail platform.
Today, Wafflemeister trades in five countries over 16 retail locations. Each year we sell millions of waffles, tons of gelato and thousands and thousands of thick shakes.
We have a fully-staffed HQ in Kingston working to support over 100 full-time team members around the world.
The footprint and store design of our retail outlets is available in two formats:
Signature Waffles – selling our famous waffles and gelato only
All Day Brunch & Dessert – offering a comfortable environment and all day food service
Minimum: 120 ft2 (12 m2) Maximum: 2,500 ft2 (250 m2)
Very high footfall – minimum 250,000 per week
High-profile locations near tourist attractions, shopping malls or major city centres
Any configuration – Stand Alone Kiosks, In-Line, Corner, Under Escalator, RMUs and Temporary Pop-Up
A1 use, single phase
Depending on the outlet you will need 3-12 team members per site. The menu offering is always the same but the service style differs in terms of takeaway and eat-in options.
Wafflemeister kiosk (bulkhead and island-type) units range from 120 – 600 ft2 and offer take-away or both take-away and eat-in options and can have up to 15 seats. Generally, we recommend that seating is offered and these units are typically located in shopping malls.
Inline units range from 250 ft2 (25 m2) – 2,500 ft2 (250 m2). They offer the full menu and may or may not offer seating but again, we do recommend seating where possible. Ancillary storage requirements are subject to location. For smaller sites plumbing and ducting aren’t required but a single-phase power supply is.
As one of the UKs most exciting and innovative food franchises, we give you the amazing benefits you need to grow your business:
Sponsored domestic Financial Assistance to qualified franchisees through UK banks and approved brokers
Specific local market research for key demographics, footfall analysis and a conversion rate study to help during the site selection process
Access to Wafflemeister’s real estate, architecture, design and equipment experts
Reduced build costs due to exclusive supplier discounts, all passed on to you
- Management training for two people for four weeks at three different types of company-owned stores incorporating front and back office training at the Wafflemeister Academy. The training is based on our 750-page franchise manual and gives your managers the opportunity to work in the different types of Wafflemeister stores
- For development franchisees we expect that on opening your fifth unit all training will be handled locally. Senior Wafflemeister executives will visit to confirm our training standards have been met to receive certification prior to discussing Master Franchise options
- Pre-opening support – one senior member for a five-day visit as well as pre-opening and field marketing assistance to help create customised marketing plans
- Opening and post-open support – one senior member for a five-day visit as well as on-site visits and full access to all senior team members and executives
- Ongoing support – after opening, our Franchise Support Centre and service providers are available to help and support you whenever you need it and we will assign a dedicated Franchise Support Manager to your store
- Full ownership support and assistance with key business decisions
We work with external marketing and design agencies that are helping us build a portfolio of assets, adaptable to local requirements. We provide creative assets including files for in-store communication such as menu templates, campaign templates and POS marketing material.
It is the simplicity and focus of our menu that has proven to be a critical aspect of our success but we also recognise that in an international franchising concept, local tastes and traditions vary. We have therefore implemented a program through which you can submit specific requests and ideas for menu changes. We will test and trial them based on brand fit, menu and local customs.
- Full site selection support to help you find the right location. We will then help you create the blueprint for how the optimal Wafflemeister should look like and on receipt of landlord approval we will support you with the logistics and fit-out
- Full international and domestic setup support – sourcing and purchasing assistance to establish supply lines for all equipment, furniture, ingredients, marketing assistance and full pre- and post-launch support
- Working in conjunction with pre-vetted suppliers, we will support you through coordinating the purchase and delivery of all input items for opening. We pass on all negotiated bulk discounts to the franchisee adding a handling fee
- If you can source the same specification and type of models locally, please do. If not we will export everything from the UK through a consolidator
- You must purchase two core products from Wafflemeister. Our waffle dough and our gelato. These are made to very strict requirements and recipes. For all other ingredients, we can export directly or you can source pre-approved brands locally
- We pass on all bulk discount rates for the branded consumables
- Competitive airfreight rates ensuring prompt delivery of equipment and goods
- Full purchasing support as well as providing price verification on all items purchased through suppliers to verify cost compliance for equipment and packaging items
- Access to our training videos, training guidelines and artwork images where we share need-to-know information and best practices
- Access to our proprietary POS software, website and loyalty card scheme as well as social media expertise, menu updates and new product development information
In the UK Wafflemeister offers franchise opportunities through single franchise agreements. Internationally, Wafflemeister offers franchise development agreements only. The development agreement allows us to identify specific countries or regions and defines an agreed number of units that need to be opened within an agreed timeline. We offer right of first refusal for other areas outside of the exclusivity zone that makes strategic sense to be developed at the same time.
The total Franchise Fee for individual units is £15,000 + VAT.*
*Development Franchisees pay a territorial exclusivity fee and an up-front development fee for the number of units that have been agreed.
Wafflemeister’s royalty fee is 6% of gross sales and 1.5% marketing fee paid monthly by electronic bank transfer.
How Much Does It Cost to Open a Wafflemeister In The UK?
The cost of opening a Wafflemeister varies significantly and depends on several site-specific factors. Fully equipped kiosks range from £55,000 to £75,000 + VAT and inline store units range from £125,000 to £250,000. Apart from the franchise fee this is an all-inclusive number that includes architectural drawings, furniture, fixtures and fittings. In terms of key equipment, it ranges from £15,000 to £25,000 depending on the size of the unit.
Franchising is about partnering with like-minded professionals for a significant period of time. That’s why we call our franchisees ‘partners’ and as a partner you automatically become part of the franchise family network and benefit from extensive collaboration and support.
All our partners are committed to Wafflemeister and understand that it takes hard work and dedication to become a fully-fledged Meister. We all take pride and joy from exceeding our customers’ expectations every day so to start the process, please complete the online application form. We will then review it straight away and come back to you very quickly.
The term is for five years with automatic renewal for a further five years’ subject to no breaches of contract.
You must have at least 3-5 years’ experience as the owner/operator of a similar food retail experience. Alternatively you must have the expertise and ability to hire a person with such skills.
- Net worth of £250,000 per unit
- Available liquid capital of £125,000 – £250,000 per unit
- Development of five or more units will be considered on a case-by-case basis